History

The inaugural meeting of Rotary Club Gy?r was held on April 10th 1932 in the small meeting room of Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

The participants of the inaugural meeting were M.B. Gerbel from Vienna, the European High Representative of Rotary International (RI) and the representatives of Budapest and Pcs Rotary Clubs: Dr. Lrnt Heged?s, gr. Albert Apponyi, Dr. Zoltn Sid, Bla Fenyvesi and Tibor Zsolnay Mattyasowszky.

Besides the above mentioned participants the following prestigious persons took part in the meeting:

Dr Lszl Nyry, Head of Internal Medicine Department, who became the founding president,
Dr Gza jlaky, lawyer, who was the Head of the Tourist Office,
Dr Istvn Lugossy, forensic physician,
Dr Ern? Meixner, the Secretary General of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Gy?r,
Antal Winkler, grain merchant,
Dr Rezs? Glos, headmaster of Secondary Girl School of Commerce,
Sndor Jaross, Lord of the Bedchamber, Chairman of Savings Bank,
Ferenc Meixner, hotel owner.

The participants of the inaugural meeting accepted the draft of the statutes and decided on the annual meeting to be held in April. The weekly meetings were scheduled for 8 p.m. Wednesdays in Hotel Royal.

The officers were elected at the end of the inaugural meeting:

President
Dr Lszl Nyry, Head of Internal Medicine Department

Vice-president
Lszl Neurihrer, retired colonel

Secretary
Dr Ern? Meixner, Secretary General of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Gy?r

Major domus
Dr Rezs? Glos, headmaster of Secondary Girl School of Commerce, private university tutor

Treasurer
Lipt Salzer, merchant

Additional members of the leadership:

Sndor Jaross, Lord of the Bedchamber, Chairman of Savings Bank
Imre Farkas, technical town councillor

 

At the end of the meeting it was announced that the European High Representative will apply for the admission to the international organisation in the Chicago centre. According to the statutes a member loses his/her membership if his/her miss four consecutive meetings except when their excuse for such non-appearance is accepted by the leadership. A member loses his/her membership if his/her are not present at minimum 60 percent of the meetings and their absence is not approved by the leadership.

The following months were characterised by administration and finally the club was officially acknowledged on 29 July 1932. No documents are available about the charter ceremony.

The Presidents of Gy?r Rotary Club from the foundation until 1938:

1932-34 Dr Lszl Nyry founding president
1934/35 Lajos Jausz
1935/37 Rezso Glos
1937/38 Aurl Kiss

Documents: letters, Freemasons in Hungary.

On December 16th 1937 the commissioner of police reported to the Mayor that the Club did not announce their meetings therefore they were thought to have ceased. The liquidation process started and on November 19th 1938 the President of the Club, Aurl Kiss notary, officially announced that the members had quitted, a general assembly could not be summoned, so the dissolution could not be stated. This fact was then reported to Dr Zoltn Kos, the Governor of Hungarian Rotary Clubs. Finally on May 31th 1939 the Mayor announced the termination of the Club. The liquidation of the assets ended on September 26th 1939.

 

The re-chartering of Rotary Club was initiated in 1992 by Dr Rudolf K?szegi, member of Rotary Schnbrunn (Austria/Vienna) and started by Dr Jzsef Horvth, Pl Lackner, Henrik Grbics and Dr Gza Kirly. The re-chartering dates back to 1992, while the official charter ceremony was held on July 10th 1993 in Hotel Rba.

The Presidents of the Club following the re-chartering:

1992-1994 Dr. Jzsef Horvth
1994/95 Csaba Koren
1995/96 Dr. Gza Kirly
1996/97 Pl Lackner
1997/98 Gyula Szalay
1998/99 Pter Rskai
1999/00 Gyrgy Szab
2000/01 Frigyes Rgner
2001/02 Gbor Heim
2002/03 Jzsef Mszros
2003/04 Pter Szab
2004/05 kos Kalmr
2006/07 Gbor Kkonyi
2007/08 Dr. Gbor Varga
2008/09 Lszl Szkely
2009/10 Lszl Dombi
2010/11 Dezs? Kosr
2011/12 Jzsef Igncz
2012/13 Imre Hurtik
2013/14 Dr. Zoltn Horvth
2014/15 Lszl Fnai
2015/16 Tibor Nmeth

Since its re-chartering Rotary Club Gy?r has organised charity events not only in Gy?r but in its neighborhood as well. Additionally the Club pays attention to the development of acquaintances over the state borders and serving the Hungarian minority in the Carpathian Basin. Our Club has sent donations to Transylvania, Csng regions, Subcarpathia and Felvidk.

The aim of the Club has always been to maintain a living relationship with its surroundings. The guests invited by us include several members of the parliament and local governments, leaders of factories, mayors, leaders of civil organisations.

RC Gy?r similarly to all Hungarian Rotary Clubs belonged to the 1910 district with its centre in Vienna. However on the international charter ceremony of June 29th and 30th 2007 in Budapest the independent Hungarian district was formed which was given the number of 1911 within the International Rotary. Imre Kovcs was elected the first governor of the Hungarian district.

The Hungarian Rotary joined the Rotarian family with its 40 clubs and 1100 members.

 The first flag of Gy?r Rotary Club